Thursday, July 3, 2008

Introduction

First of all, here is what is in my garage with a little history:
1) 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS: These cars are sometimes referred to as 2gnt, as in 2nd generation non-turbo. It's not actually in my garage because it used to leak oil and now that I've fixed I've just gotten used to parking it out there. I bought this car brand-new from Girard Mitsubishi in New London, CT and it still has there bumper sticker on it. I live in Alabama now so nobody's heard of Girard and now my Eclipse is sometimes simply called, "Girard." It's approaching 160,000 miles and was pretty well mistreated for many years but has been enjoying better treatment in its later years. It has a 4-cylinder engine that is still stock with a 5-speed manual transmission. It has no extras except A/C (power nothing). The closest thing to a modification I've done is add XM radio, but I sold the unit for after moving to where I have a 7 minute commute instead of the 1 1/2 hour commute in DC. I use this car for any driving I do by myself, mainly commuting to and from work.
2) 1999 Volvo V70: This is the station wagon pictured on my banner. When we moved to Alabama, I bought a VW Jetta for my wife to drive, but after having our son, we wanted something a bit more roomier. We could barely fit anything but the stroller in the trunk. It has about 165,000 miles on it and this is our family car. It has a 5-cylinder engine with a turbo. It has a lot more options including a sunroof, power windows, power locks, ABS, etc. I've gotten pretty sick of this car after driving it for a little more than a year. A lot of the interior parts are falling apart and the surfaces are heavily worn. We also have a lot more problems with it than with my Eclipse. Someday we'll probably sell it and get a minivan (to the dismay of some friends).
3) 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim (motorcycle): In the banner picture, this bike is hiding under the blue tarp. It was my dad's until he passed away in 2003. I inherited it since we worked on it together and I drove it as much as he did (although I still don't have a license - don't worry though, I'm not driving it now and before I do I will get a license). It took me until last year to get it down to Alabama, so it spent 3 years sitting in a covered area outside in Connecticut (going from 0-deg to 90-deg over each year). It needs some restoration work, which I started last fall, but never had time to finish. My wife is not too excited about me riding a motorcycle, but I want to get it running at least for nostalgic purposes.
4) Riding lawn mower - this occasionally comes up needing work done, so I thought I'd include it. Also, it was riding on that trailer in the banner too. My brother was in between houses and didn't want to pay to store it (thinking that he'd be using a lawn service in his next house) so he let me have it if I could move it. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy to load that thing up and I was definitely pushing the limits of the Volvo and the trailer that I'd borrowed from a friend's father-in-law.

So that's what's in my garage. I plan to start by posting some projects that I completed on them and then leave it open for future projects.

No comments: