Friday, July 4, 2008

Hypermiling challenge - does it really work?

With the gas prices climbing higher every week with no end in sight, the media would have you believe that everyone is feeling the pinch and making (drastic) changes to curb spending. I haven't seen much of a change around me, but I've read a few articles about it. One topic I came across was the idea of hypermiling (see www.hypermiling.com). There has been some controversy about it being illegal or unsafe, but those claims don't seem valid when you actually look at the methods proposed by advocates of hypermiling.

After trying some methods on a small scale over the last couple of weeks, a couple of friends of mine have decided to test out the hypermiling concept. We are going to have a challenge to see who can get the most improvement in gas mileage by using hypermiling techniques. I'm going to document my results here and try to give an update on all of the results at the end of the challenge.

If anyone wants to get involved, please tag along by submitting comments or linking up to your results on your own blog.


Here's the way it'll work (short version):
For one week, gas mileage will be calculated for your normal driving style.
For a second week, gas mileage will be calculated for your "hypermiling" style.

Here's the specifics of how it'll work (long version):
Most of these rules have been added to reduce the number of cheating accusations and for full documentation purposes.
1) On Day One, gas tank should be filled entirely and exact mileage recorded. Drive normally for one week.
2) On Day Two through Day Six, mileage and gas tank level should be recorded. If gas is ever needed, number of gallons added to the tank must be recorded.
3) On Day Seven, gas tank should be filled entirely and exact mileage recorded along with number of gallons added to the tank. Drive using hypermiling methods for one week.
4) On Day Eight through Day Thirteen, mileage and gas tank level should be recorded. If gas is ever needed, the number of gallons added to the tank must be recorded.
5) All recordings should be made at the same time of day, each day.
6) The preferred documentation method is using a camera (cell phone camera is sufficient). Pictures need to include the full instrument cluster (to verify the gas tank level and mileage) as well as the gas pump at the end of any fill-ups.
7) The secondary documentation method is to have a witness sign off on your records.
8) Daily records aren't required, but suggested to add credibility to your results.
9) Weeks need not be concurrent. If there is a gap between weeks, the tank should be filled at the beginning and end of each week-long period. The number of gallons added at the beginning of a week need not be recorded, only the ending fill-ups.
10) Gas mileage will be calculated by dividing the number of miles by the number of gallons used. (If I drive 300 miles and use 10 gallons of gas, then I have attained 30 mpg.) The higher the number the better the score.
11) Obviously, the same car must be used for both weeks.
12) Competing weeks should be planned around travel in an attempt to only include "normal" weeks.
13) Hypermiling methods are of your own choosing, but laws should not be broken. Here is a site with a bunch of techniques: http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php
14) Prizes (only for local competitors) are still to be determined; current (fuzzy) categories include: best improvement, best overall gas mileage, best improvement over EPA rating.

Finally my planned schedule is this (and I'd suggest you try and fit into our weeks so we can all compete together):
Week 1 - July 9th through 16th - I will record my normal driving.
Week 2 - July 16th through 23rd - I will practice hypermiling.
Week 3 - July 23rd through 30th - I will record my "hypermiling" driving.

With this information, I will be able to calculate the average miles per gallon achieved during normal driving on a typical week compared to hypermiling on a typical week. I'll be able to determine the percent difference between the two and with a record of my typical weekly mileage, I can make an estimate of money to be saved over the course of a year by using hypermiling techniques. Obviously, since I'm new to this, if I practiced more than a week, I'd expect the results to improve with time.

Finally, I plan to bring a stop watch to record how long it takes me to get to and from work each day, taking into account what time I leave. One concern with hypermiling is the extra time tacked on to a commute. I have a pretty short commute, so I expect the difference to be negligible.

For background, my commute is 7.4 miles which includes 2.0 miles on two-lane highways, 4.2 miles on a raised divided highway and 1.2 miles on local roads. On the way to work I have four right turns, two left turns and one merge off the highway to a local road. Coming back I have two right turns, a left turn to a highway merge followed by four left turns. At the intersections on the way to work, there are two stop signs, two normal (Red/Yellow/Green) lights (with turn signals) and the rest are yields. Coming back are one stop sign, the same two lights and the rest are yields.

So, once again, let me know if you participate.

No comments: